Thursday 22 September 2011

The Bookish Romance!

It all started when I first set my eyes on a pile of colorful story book. They were the 'Noddy' series. What drew me to these books initially were not the stories but the colorful pictures in it. It felt as if the colors were speak to me, trying to tell me something. I could hear them say, 'Come to me and I'll promise to take you to a different world.' I think it was some magnetic force that pulled me towards them and before I knew it I was flipping through their colorful pages. Was it just me or the world around me was actually changing? Suddenly I couldn't hear anything around and I was drowning deeper and deeper into the world of Noddy. That's when I heard a faint voice. Were the books speaking to me? No! How could that be? I also felt a tap on my shoulders. I spun around and here was my mother calling me as we had to leave. I clutched the book in my hand, drew it closer to my chest and walked out with my mother.

The library I went to was aptly called 'The Reader's Den'. It really was a den in true sense. I could hide in there for hours surrounded by all kinds of books which would take me to another world - thats 'My World', where I could just drown in the stories and imagine by life the way I wanted it to be. It's just so enigmatic!

Everyday I would look forward for the evening when Mumma would take me to the library and I could borrow yet another 'Noddy' book.

As time passed I came across a number of books and soon the colorful books were left far behind. Their place was taken by others but this time they didn't have colorful pictures but a huge collection of enchanting stories.



Books have been my companion for the past ten years. Irrespective of the mood I'm in, they seem to make it alright. If I'm happy they just add to the happiness. The days when I'm lonely or low, I just get hold of one of these companions and drown into their stories. Some of the books I read are sometimes representation of my current state of life. It's like they make me choose the books I should read at that particular moment. Surprisingly they also have the solutions to those problems.

What I love most about these books is the fragrance of the pages. It is so familiar, like that of an old friend or a loved one. That's why each book that I take in my hand is never new to me.  There is always a sense of recognition.

During nights when I can't sleep because of some lingering thought, I immediately turn to one of the books next to my night stand. I get so engrossed in the stories that before I know I'm in deep slumber.

Books have this extraordinary power to encourage one's imagination, calm one's mind, stimulates one's thought process and also helps us spend our free time in the most productive manner. Unfortunately due to the advancement in technology, people are increasingly turning towards different gadgets and whiling away their time.

Albeit the new discoveries in the world of gizmos, I will always find solace in books. Unlike the present day romance that end at the blink of an eye, my bookish romance is here to stay........forever!



2 comments:

  1. I love this post! I completely agree. I'm reading 4 books at the moment. I love the new or musty smell of books too.

    www.thesilverkickdiaries.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete